Bayanat Box is an Arab digital platform that combines the power of data, design, and journalism to create fresh, mobile-ready, evidence-based visual content in Arabic and English, on the most pressing economic and social challenges of relevance to Arab millennials. Bayanat Box was incubated by Huloul, a Lebanese NGO. It also partners and collaborates with various international, regional, and national organizations on a project basis (UNDP, UN-ESCWA, Queen Rania Foundation, Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy at the American University of Beirut, Internews, to name a few.)
Registered Non-Governmental Organization (Lebanon)
Dalia Al Kad, CEO and Founder
Haramoun Hamieh, Editor-in-chief
Alya Al Aali, Lead researcher
Nancy Ezzedine, Lead strategist
400k USD Silatech grant
17.8k USD Queen Rania Foundation partnership
55k USD UNDP Fake News partnership
Bayanat Box is currently focusing on strengthening and improving its business model. Financial sustainability is a key challenge that will allow it, if surmounted, to grow exponentially. The past 2 years were very important for Bayanat Box to master the craft while being efficient. Yet financial sustainability remains a key challenge as it would like to be able to move away from project-based sustainability. This challenge is not restricted to Bayanat Box. Publishers and content creators around the world are still actively experimenting to find the right combination of monetization strategies and revenue streams that will allow them to keep creating great content for their audience.
As a social digital-first platform, Bayanat Box did its part in experimenting with different monetization strategies including partnerships, grants, content production, editorial and design services, communication strategy, event planning, etc. The model that proved to be the most successful so far was partnerships and offering content creation services to other public and private organizations. Yet, this meant staying dependent on volatile revenue from short-term partners.
Furthermore, Bayanat Box’s production process requires individuals to work in a multi-disciplinary team and across the design, journalism, policy, and media industries. This means that its team members require a lot of training and losing a team member you’ve invested in training is a big hit to the production process. This makes the impact of financial volatility on the organization even higher.
- Mentorship on the Financial model to identify new revenue generation streams to enhance its financial sustainability and expand its impact
- Advise on long term Partnerships with national, regional and international organizations who share the same goals and values to produce content campaigns and train Arab youth on explanatory, visual, data journalism.
- Advise on potential partners in the public and private sector for Bayanat Box planned climate change policy campaign. At the moment Bayanat Box is developing a concept for a content campaign on climate change because it found that this critical topic is undercovered in Arab media, especially how it will impact people’s lives and livelihoods, and what can be done to adapt to it and to mitigate its impact
- Partnership with NGOs and regional and international publishers who may be interested in its subscription-based visual content wire service so it can work closely with them and prototype a product that fits their needs.
- Advise on Subscription-based visual content wire service that allows NGOs and regional and international publishers to use Baynat Box’s visual content on their platforms to cover socio-economic topics in the Arab world and to engage their audience. This service will include an automation component that should not only make the production process more efficient, but also democratize visual content creation.
- Potential funding opportunities
Advisory and Mentorship Support
Please choose the area(s) of support that you are interested in being part of:
Long-term partnerships with national, regional and international organizations for the planned climate change policy campaign
Secure further partnerships with NGOs and regional and international publishers who may be interested in its subscription-based visual content wire service
Please Fill out the form to support this initiative
3ARABI IMPACT by HAAA
The 3arabi Impact Initiative by HAAA aims at identifying and supporting implementation of projects that impact the Arab world, regardless of sector or country. The 3arabi Impact Initiative by HAAA aims at identifying and supporting implementation of projects that impact the Arab world, regardless of sector or country
How can you help?
Support this initiative